Saturday, February 23, 2013

catching up

It has been too long! My last post was October, and October seems forever ago! I suppose between holidays, missions trips, work schedules, new things, stressful things, etc...life has gotten the best of me as of late. So hectic in fact, that today for the first time in-I don't even remember when- I sat down in the peace and quiet of a Saturday morning with my journal and Sharpie pen and wrote my heart away.

I have missed the blogging world. I've come to the realization that I have a strong passion for expressing myself in words. This is why I journal. This is why I enjoy blogs. Words mean so much to me. Despite my absence, I have attempted to keep up with many of you, (my blogger reading list seems to grow each week!). Often times I find myself reading your real-life posts with tears streaming- not because I know you personally or understand the details or even the context of your writing, but with the written words of your heart, I find truth. Encouragement. Strength to face my own circumstances. Faith to keep going. Grace to extend beyond myself. It is inspiring to say the least.

So let's catch up. 

November. Went by fasts. I spent my first Thanksgiving away from my family and traveled with my in-laws and sweet husband to visit his grandparents in the Sunshine State. It was a lovely long weekend and  as much as I missed my own family and traditions, it was good for us to be there for his family this year.

December. Difficult month. Work in the building world always slows down this time of year. But this year it seems as if it's decided to come to a screeching halt. However, God always provides one way or another, sometimes at the last minute. He is faithful.

January. Our time in Nicaragua was short but sweet. My little-est sister came with us this year and it was pure joy for me to introduce her to all the faces and names that she had been hearing about for years. She fit in almost right away, and of course they loved her to pieces. Coming home was more difficult than usual. There is always a tug in our hearts that we feel Nicaragua is where we are supposed to be. We are trusting that God will make a way in His perfect timing, should that be the case. I know I would have made room for at least five little Nicaraguan kiddos in my luggage if I could!

February. Oh February. So far it has been twenty-three days jam-packed with pure.....testing. Just when you think you've learned patience, grace, and how to trust....it seems that everything comes crashing down and you realize you had zero grip on these things after all. This month I am learning (again) to lean on Jesus. He alone satisfies. It is so difficult not to take things into my own hands. I want things done a certain way. I'm a little (a lot) OCD. I'm a planner... I like to know what's ahead and what we're gonna do when we get there. But so often, God has a much different and of course, a much better, plan. Surrender is tough. Though it is essential. Trusting goes against the grain of this anxiety-filled heart of mine, but it is absolutely vital in order to move forward.

I know God is doing something big in me, in my marriage, in the community I live and grow in. Yielding to Him is my priority in 2013. What is your priority or goal this year? What has God been showing you so far in how to reach that goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment