Wednesday, April 24, 2013

lately

lately, I've had lots of time to think. My job right now is a thirty minute drive from my home, so you can imagine the vast array of things this "worry-wort" manages to mull over and pack into one hour each day. No coincidence that lately, I've heard several teachings and been apart of a book study that has been focusing on the battlefield of our mind, and how much power our thoughts have over us. I've always been aware of the fact that I worry. A lot. But it wasn't until I read the third chapter  and ended up checking all but two items on the list titled something like, "Are you a chronic worrier?"....that I realized how serious it is! So lately, I've been asking for prayer and pleading with my Savior to give me strength to hold every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. It is a challenge to say the least. But I am grateful for the opportunity to grow and work toward the never ending process of being more like Jesus, and less like me. 

lately, I have been enjoying the sunshine and warmer days of the beautiful spring in the mountains. My sweet sister just started her blog and wrote a beautiful post on what spring brings and means to her. Check it out here. Oh how I love spring. Mostly because it leads to summer....and oh how I love summer! Spring signifies growth.  It is such a beautiful metaphor of shedding the old, ugliness of our flesh that we may have allowed to fester through a winterous season, and-if we allow him to- the Holy Spirit works in us, pruning away at the areas that have born no fruit, so that new, fresh growth may spring forth

lately, I've been trying lots of new recipes, actually making use of the many cookbooks that I own. And for that, my husband is grateful! :) Most recently I made these wonderful raspberry crumble bars. Honestly, I chose the recipe because I assumed I wouldn't like them- I'm not a fan of jam or jelly- the thought was for other people to enjoy them (and me to stay away)! But let me tell you- jam fan or not- these bars are amazing. Of course, anything with two sticks of butter has to be delish! Oh don't worry- there is granola on top- so they're healthy...right? Try them. You won't be disappointed. 

Raspberry Crumble Bars by Barefoot Contessa from this cookbook. 

1/2 pound (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract 
2 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
10 to 12 ounces of raspberry jam (I think any jam would work here...I accidentally used strawberry)
2/3 cup granola (I used homemade that I had on hand)
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
Confectioner's sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 


Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed just until combined. With the mixer on low, add the vanilla. 

Sift the flour and salt together and, with the mixer on low, slowly add to the butter mixture, mixing until it almost comes together in a ball. Turn the dough out on a board. Lightly pat two-thirds of the dough evenly on the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan and about ¼ inch up the sides. Spread with the jam, leaving a ¼-inch border. Mix the granola into the remaining dough with your hands. Break the dough into small bits, and distribute it on top of the jam, covering most of the surface. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Bake the bars for 45 minutes, until lightly browned. 

Cool completely and cut into 9 or 12 bars. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar. 


ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment