Friday, October 5, 2012

purpose & passion

Its October. Can you believe it? In just three short months I will be well on my way to the land of Nicaragua, also known as our second home. I will be greeted by smiling faces, cold hands, warm hugs, and Spanglish conversations. I will fight back tears as joy overwhelms me. Oh, how I long for that day! Every year (except one) since we've been married, and even the year before when we were dating/practically engaged, my husband and I have scrapped and saved to travel the many miles to Central America to serve as the hands and feet of Jesus to the people, more specifically, the children of Nicaragua. We bring gifts to over 30 orphaned children. We relieve workers in the orphanage and ministry so they can go home to spend holiday time with their families. We bring a month's supply of rice and beans to families that we have met and grown to know over the years. We are there to be used however God leads. Every year brings new challenges and lessons. Every year brings a stronger burden and brokenness for the poor, the lost, the hopeless. And every year when I think I can't wait to come home to my own soft, warm bed, I end up longing to be back in the mosquito-infested, damp room sleeping on the 1970-style bunk bed mattress- only waiting to be awakened by screams, giggles, and loud voices that echo throughout the huge, open building. I can hardly imagine life without these experiences that I have and continue to encounter. The provision and faithfulness of our God is incredible. I am so grateful that our plane tickets are booked and paid for. I am excited for our fundraiser ideas. I am thankful that despite the busy-ness of this season that seems to consume our lives as American citizens- that I have December 30th to prepare for and look forward to. Sometimes life seems so mundane. The routine becomes just that- a routine. God is so good to give us insight into the call He has on our lives. He wants to use us in areas that gives us so much joy it makes our hearts ache. If you are struggling with the monotony of life and wonder where the purpose is- simply ask- He will bring purpose and passion to areas you never dreamed.
Isaiah 61: 1
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, 
because the Lord has annointed me to bring good news to the poor, 
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
 to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the 
opening of the prison to those who are bound..."

1 comment: