Thursday, September 13, 2012

muffins & middle school girls


Hello lovelies. I hope that wherever you are the weather is just as beautiful as it is in the mountains! It has been a gorgeous week full of crisp, cool mornings followed by warm afternoons reaching the mid 70s. Perfection, really. 

I have a notification sent to my email address when I receive a comment. Let me tell you, when I see those come across, I am giddy with excitement. Thank you, those of you who are reading. It truly makes my heart glad! :)

I have taken a job/volunteer opportunity at a girls home close by. For privacy purposes, I won't go into too many details. The facts: I am teaching a creative writing class to three precious middle school girls; I'm a little in over my head; I have never taught before; I am not an English major; I should have been an English major; I love writing; I have too many journals to count; I think I found my calling. Do you ever have feel like you're not sure why, but you have this feeling you're exactly where you're supposed to be? That sure is how I feel during those three hours I am there. Not that it has been a piece of cake. I had forgotten what it was like to be a middle school girl. What a ridiculous time in life! So unsure of who you are and who you wanna be. Desperately and constantly trying to fit in- somewhere- anywhere. Although I feel ill-equipped to teach or even to speak into the lives of these young ladies- I feel confidant that the Lord has me there for a purpose. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :) 

One of the most genuine, sweetest ladies I know has the most awesome recipe for whole wheat chocolate chip muffins. I was pretty ecstatic when she shared it with me! I've made them several times, enough to have some in my freezer! They are so yummy and so easy to make!  

First, mix together the dry ingredients and form a well. 
Then pour in the remaining ingredients. Buttermilk (yep, its true), egg, oil. Mix together. Then add 1 cup of chocolate chips. I used fair trade dark chocolate after reading this post
and because its just better, anyway. 
Line a muffin pan with paper cups or lightly grease. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. 
Allow to cool and dig in! Great for a morning, afternoon, or midnight snack! 

Ingredients: 
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk (I used non-fat)
1/2 cup oil
1 egg 
1 cup chocolate chips 

1 comment: