Friday, September 7, 2012

diy friday


I'm a lover of coffee mugs. Little ones. Big ones. Ones that match. Mostly ones that don't. They're just so fun. Nothing like a lovely mug to brighten your morning as you fill it with yummy, freshly brewed coffee. So, you can imagine how I quickly walk past the shelves covered in super neat mugs at Starbucks. I try to avoid using my peripheral vision and simply order my coffee-to-go. :)

I picked up a simple white mug from Target awhile ago for like $3 with the plan to design something fun with Sharpie pens. The magic of using a Sharpie to DIY yourself a mug is that if for some reason, you don't love what you've done- simply wash with soap and warm water and it comes right off! Once you've mastered your creativeness then you bake it in the oven for about 
30 minutes and to make the design permanent. 

Chevron. Thats what I needed. A chevron coffee mug. Here's how....

 What you'll need:
sharpie pen (color of your choice)
white coffee mug or cup
stencil (or free-hand, you brave soul!)


Simply place stencil where desired design will be & start filling in with the sharpie pen. 
 I used some tape at this point (which got a little tricky with the roundness of the mug). 
But don't worry- if it smudges or if you are a perfectionist like me, 
remember you can wash, rinse and start over! 


When you've completed your design place in the oven (pre-heated to about 300 degrees) 
and bake for 30 minutes. Voila! 


3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I think I may have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alissa! You should definitely make one! Of course the stencil possibilities are endless :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cool. Who knew a plain sharpie could work like that?? The possibilities are endless!!!

    ReplyDelete